Skip to main content

We Need To Know What Abuse Is

It can be hard to pinpoint what exactly abuse is when it's not in a physical form. There are a lot of checklists people can refer to online if they are wondering if they are in an abusive relationship. Those lists ask questions like:

Does he yell at you?
Does she criticize you in front of others?
Does he control how you spend your time and who you are friends with?

During my marriage, I went online a number of times and looked at those lists. I determined that I must not be in an abusive relationship because I couldn't check enough of the boxes.

We really need a better way of helping people. If the people in the abusive situations don't think they "qualify" based on these lists, then the people they go to for help surely won't. What can we do? How can we help current and future abuse victims to know that they are enduring abuse and that they can and should get out? And how can we equip communities to see the signs and help sooner, rather than later?



One problem I have with some of the "abuse check-lists" out there is some of them rely on how the victim feels:

Are you afraid all the time?
Do you worry your partner will harm you?
Do you feel like you're not good enough for love, and if you leave your relationship, you'll be alone forever?

By the time a person gets to that point, serious damage has been done to them already. Damage to their soul, their innermost self. Why should a person have to get to that point before we say, "Yes, abuse is happening here. It's okay for you to get out. It's GOOD for you to get out!"

The best information about emotional abuse I have found online so far is this video:  5 Must-Know Signs of Emotional Abuse





To sum it up:  Are they degrading you?  Are they controlling your life?  Are they accusing and blaming you?  Are they neglecting you?  Do they treat you as if you aren't your own separate person with your own boundaries?

I want to specifically talk about control for a minute. I never felt like my husband was controlling. He never tried to keep me from spending time with friends or calling or texting them. The same with my family. And when our religious views started to differ, he didn't really try to keep me from going to church, although he made it clear he felt all Christians were foolish. Even when I watched this video I didn't feel like he had been controlling. But since then, as I've had more time to think about it, I have recognized some controlling behaviors.

He would discount the way I felt about something, and tell me I should feel differently. That's trying to control my mind and emotions. When we traveled (which he despised, so we didn't do it often), he would punish me for the fact that he was where he didn't want to be, by being really horrible to be with. And he would blame his actions on me (another sign of abuse) because I was supposedly walking too slowly, or having to stop too often to eat or use the bathroom. You know, horrible infractions that must not go unpunished. So what did all of that make me do? It made me wonder if I really wanted to travel with him or not. It was another way of manipulating. And the out-and-out refusing me love in the way I needed to receive it? That gave him the upper hand in the relationship. He had something I wanted, and he had the power to give it to me--or not.

I know I've been way more personal with details in this blog post than in others. I hope I never hurt anyone close to the situation. I share what I share in hopes that others that need help can get it.

Maybe you, as a reader, are in a relationship that sounds a lot like mine. Sometimes it can be hard to articulate to others what exactly is wrong when you ask for help. Maybe showing someone this post when you go for help would be beneficial. I don't have all the answers, but I've gotten some specifics written down you can refer to, and the video is terrific.

Today I pray that we all find the healing that we need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Must They Think?

It's been too long since my last post. I have nothing to say for myself, except that life has been happening. I've had a migraine today, so this may not be very eloquent. But something has come to mind a few times lately that I want to discuss. If you've read my blog before, then you know my story, or at least part of it. It's not pretty by any means! I was a young woman hoping and praying to meet an amazing man who would sweep me off my feet. Then I met someone who seemed so amazing, and we were both smitten, and we got married and lived happily ever after. Except we didn't. We got married, and after a while I slowly started to realize what a huge mistake I had made. I was in a painful mess. You probably know that, but it's a recap for any first-time readers. (And please check out some of my other posts) Every once in a while I'll be in a conversation with someone about things that I went through in my marriage, and I can't help but think, "W

Marriage Advice That Is Wrong If You Are In a Toxic Marriage

If you're married or even seriously dating you might read books and blogs with marriage advice. You'll hear advice from pastors, family, friends, maybe even strangers. A lot of that advice will be good for some, or even most situations. The problem is when you are hearing and reading advice that isn't good for you. The person giving the advice will mean well. But they just can't see the full picture. Today I want to talk about some advice that can actually be harmful if implemented in a toxic marriage. I'm not listing these in a particular order. I'm just writing as I think of these.  Don't talk negatively about your spouse to other people. See the problem with this? If you are being abused in some way, keeping quiet about it is the last thing you should do. This just enables the abuse to go on. Tell people what is happening to you. Some may not believe you. Find someone that will.  Don't focus on the change your spouse needs to make. Focus on

Safe People: What I'm learning

No, I haven’t died. Life is just happening.  Lately I’ve been reading Safe People by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It is the first of several books I want to read as part of my healing process, and it is a real eye-opener. I’m not even finished with it yet, but I have seen myself in some of the pages.  One thing I recognized in myself is what the authors refer to as the false solution of doing the opposite. I was once deeply hurt by a guy who was dominated by his mother and just couldn’t cut the apron strings. So when I met the man I married and he was rude and unkind to his mother, I didn’t recognize that as the red flag it was. I was just so glad he didn’t let her push him around. In that regard, I was drawn to the opposite of what I had before when neither extreme was healthy.  The book talks quite a bit about people who close themselves off from relationships, both romantic and platonic, because they have been hurt in the past. I’m certainly in that posit