Skip to main content

The Biggest Difference Between Now and Then

There are many things that are different, now that I have left my husband.

I  live in a different part of the state. I live with my parents again until I can get some things figured out financially. I'm attending the church I attended before moving away when I got married, but there is a new pastor now.


I no longer have the security a wife has (or should have) of someone taking care of her. I know my family will take care of me, and my church will. No one will ever let me be without things I need. I'm driving an old Toyota I've had forever, because my husband got to keep the newer car. I wouldn't have wanted to bring the payments with me, along with the newer car, so there is that.

I loved my role as a full-time housekeeper/cook/domestic goddess when I was with my husband. When I left, I knew I would have to polish up my resume and find employment. At this point I've only had temporary jobs, but something will open up. It's not easy reinventing myself. I loved marriage (the institution) and how I was able to contribute. What I didn't love was my particular relationship and how I was treated within our marriage, if that makes any sense.

I guess I've said all of that to lead up to this:  I was thinking recently about the changes in my life. There are so many differences between "now" and "then." But one big thing stuck with me, and I really think it is the biggest change of all.


Now I have hope. Hope for tomorrow. Hope that I can have a happy, full life. Hope that I can dream some dreams and make them come true. Six months ago I really didn't have hope. I tried to. I put on a brave face. But it just wasn't there.

It's amazing what change can happen in a few short months with a few right circumstances. Hope can even happen.


Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted my previous comment because I didn't feel that it pertained to your particular situation. I liked what you said about change. Some change is good and necessary.

    In order for there to be a change, a change must be made. That is where you are, and hopefully I can gradually initiate some positive changes in my life.

    At the graduation last night, Bro. Brown from Eugene spoke about having perfect circles in our lives. He used the compass as his illustration. The dot in the center is God, and then we try to put positive people and influences in our individual circles. So our circles can be either small or large, depending.

    Right now my circle is relatively small. There is God at the center, but yet there is a lot of empty space. I just don't know how to get people in, and many don't want to be in my circle. Therefore, change is inevitable. Sometimes you have to give up one thing to get another; such is life.

    I'm glad you feel hope once again. We can't lose hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Must They Think?

It's been too long since my last post. I have nothing to say for myself, except that life has been happening. I've had a migraine today, so this may not be very eloquent. But something has come to mind a few times lately that I want to discuss. If you've read my blog before, then you know my story, or at least part of it. It's not pretty by any means! I was a young woman hoping and praying to meet an amazing man who would sweep me off my feet. Then I met someone who seemed so amazing, and we were both smitten, and we got married and lived happily ever after. Except we didn't. We got married, and after a while I slowly started to realize what a huge mistake I had made. I was in a painful mess. You probably know that, but it's a recap for any first-time readers. (And please check out some of my other posts) Every once in a while I'll be in a conversation with someone about things that I went through in my marriage, and I can't help but think, "W

Marriage Advice That Is Wrong If You Are In a Toxic Marriage

If you're married or even seriously dating you might read books and blogs with marriage advice. You'll hear advice from pastors, family, friends, maybe even strangers. A lot of that advice will be good for some, or even most situations. The problem is when you are hearing and reading advice that isn't good for you. The person giving the advice will mean well. But they just can't see the full picture. Today I want to talk about some advice that can actually be harmful if implemented in a toxic marriage. I'm not listing these in a particular order. I'm just writing as I think of these.  Don't talk negatively about your spouse to other people. See the problem with this? If you are being abused in some way, keeping quiet about it is the last thing you should do. This just enables the abuse to go on. Tell people what is happening to you. Some may not believe you. Find someone that will.  Don't focus on the change your spouse needs to make. Focus on