Skip to main content

Thoughts on "Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning"

Have you ever read the article  "Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning"  by Mario Vittone? He is very qualified to write on the subject. He was in the Coast Guard with a career in a helicopter rescue.

The idea of his article is that we think drowning is going to be dramatic, with a lot of flailing around. Something that would really catch your attention if you happen to be nearby. But there are physical things going on with a drowning person that don't allow him to call out for help or wave for attention. That makes it so scary, because a child can drown just feet away from you, and you would never know until it's too late.


This is a really good reminder going into summer. With pool parties, trips to the lake, and beach days, we just can't be too careful. But as I read these warnings about drowning recently, it struck me that this can really apply to more than just the physical realm.

Have you ever felt like you were drowning inside, and no one seemed to know? I have. But it didn't look like drowning to everyone. You see, we all have a picture in our minds of what drowning should look like. And I was pretty much holding it together. I was being strong. So I couldn't be drowning. But  I was. I don't blame people for not seeing it. A lot of people wouldn't have been able to help even if they knew.

I wonder how many of the people we have contact with are drowning--not on the outside, but inside. Maybe if we are more aware of the concept that drowning doesn't look like drowning, we can more easily spot them. I know I want to rescue someone if I can. When your body drowns, you die. But when you are drowning inside you go on living without hope. That's just no way to live.


I'm so thankful I was rescued! 

Comments

  1. This is excellent. Would you mind if I use part of this article as a posting on Widows and Widowers? Sometimes we are just unable to get people's attention, and because we may seem and look normal on the outside, they assume we are "okay" and "over it." When we are all the while "drowning" in grief. Loss is devastating, in whatever form it cloaks itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please feel free to share this post, and any others that you feel might help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Must They Think?

It's been too long since my last post. I have nothing to say for myself, except that life has been happening. I've had a migraine today, so this may not be very eloquent. But something has come to mind a few times lately that I want to discuss. If you've read my blog before, then you know my story, or at least part of it. It's not pretty by any means! I was a young woman hoping and praying to meet an amazing man who would sweep me off my feet. Then I met someone who seemed so amazing, and we were both smitten, and we got married and lived happily ever after. Except we didn't. We got married, and after a while I slowly started to realize what a huge mistake I had made. I was in a painful mess. You probably know that, but it's a recap for any first-time readers. (And please check out some of my other posts) Every once in a while I'll be in a conversation with someone about things that I went through in my marriage, and I can't help but think, "W

Marriage Advice That Is Wrong If You Are In a Toxic Marriage

If you're married or even seriously dating you might read books and blogs with marriage advice. You'll hear advice from pastors, family, friends, maybe even strangers. A lot of that advice will be good for some, or even most situations. The problem is when you are hearing and reading advice that isn't good for you. The person giving the advice will mean well. But they just can't see the full picture. Today I want to talk about some advice that can actually be harmful if implemented in a toxic marriage. I'm not listing these in a particular order. I'm just writing as I think of these.  Don't talk negatively about your spouse to other people. See the problem with this? If you are being abused in some way, keeping quiet about it is the last thing you should do. This just enables the abuse to go on. Tell people what is happening to you. Some may not believe you. Find someone that will.  Don't focus on the change your spouse needs to make. Focus on

Safe People: What I'm learning

No, I haven’t died. Life is just happening.  Lately I’ve been reading Safe People by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It is the first of several books I want to read as part of my healing process, and it is a real eye-opener. I’m not even finished with it yet, but I have seen myself in some of the pages.  One thing I recognized in myself is what the authors refer to as the false solution of doing the opposite. I was once deeply hurt by a guy who was dominated by his mother and just couldn’t cut the apron strings. So when I met the man I married and he was rude and unkind to his mother, I didn’t recognize that as the red flag it was. I was just so glad he didn’t let her push him around. In that regard, I was drawn to the opposite of what I had before when neither extreme was healthy.  The book talks quite a bit about people who close themselves off from relationships, both romantic and platonic, because they have been hurt in the past. I’m certainly in that posit