Skip to main content

The Things That Have Helped Me Heal

A few days ago I was in my former town and was able to see so many friends. It was amazing! I think people were able to see that a lot of healing has happened in my life;  I'm way different from how I was when I left.

That caused me to start thinking about my healing process and consider what the things may be that have helped me along the way.

  1. When I left I KNEW I was making the right decision. That gave me a peace, even though my life was upside down. I definitely could have left sooner, and I had plenty of reason to, but I waited until I knew it was absolutely the right choice. Because of this, I've never looked back or doubted my path. 
  2. My support has been incredible. I know I've mentioned things in this regard before, but I've always had people who have had my back. When I needed someone to talk to, when I needed help moving, when I needed a hug, there was always someone. I'll always be grateful. 
  3. I told myself the truth about myself and my situation. Someone who had endured abuse of any kind can really struggle with self-worth. Sometimes there is a tiny place inside that starts to believe that they deserve that kind of treatment, so once they get out of one bad situation they repeat it with someone else. But when I was still in my marriage and after I left, I rejected that. I told myself (and him) that I didn't deserve that treatment. I told myself that I was awesome and very much worth loving. I now tell myself that a future relationship wouldn't depend on whether or not someone would want me. It would depend on whether or not I wanted him. 
  4. I've allowed myself to feel the emotions that have come up, and I haven't been afraid of them. Grief, anger, resentment, whatever. I can't stuff my feelings and expect to heal. That doesn't mean I wallow in those feelings, but I try to acknowledge that they're there, and I have more work to do. Then I release them as I can. Prayer helps with this.
  5. I blocked him on social media. I wanted to keep things on a friendly basis as much as possible, so I didn't do that at first. But he left me a few comments I had to delete, so a while back I decided it was time. And it's amazing the difference it has made for me to not see what he is posting! My peace level definitely went up by my taking that one action. 
  6. I'm trying to look for good in my situation. Maybe I'll be able to help other people that are hurting. I certainly hope so! Anticipating the greater good helps the healing along. 


Comments

  1. Will you send your support team my way LOL? I would love to have someone to guard my back. I know my situation is different, but it helps to have people in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Come to the edge,” he said.

    “We can’t, we’re afraid!” they responded.

    “Come to the edge,” he said.

    “We can’t, We will fall!” they responded.

    “Come to the edge,” he said.

    And so they came.

    And he pushed them.

    And they flew.” ― Guillaume Apollinaire


    Someone posted this on Widows and Widowers, and I can so relate to this! I am not sure how the story began, but I like the ending. I have always had a fear of heights - flying, mountains, bridges, ladders, balconies, etc. Now, today, this could be applied to my current status in life. I feel somewhat stuck in my grief, dangling over a dark precipice, at the end of my rope...I'm like, "PLEASE don't push me."

    I believe that God provides "parachutes" for us when we take that leap of faith. Sounds like you are already soaring, so flap those wings and keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Must They Think?

It's been too long since my last post. I have nothing to say for myself, except that life has been happening. I've had a migraine today, so this may not be very eloquent. But something has come to mind a few times lately that I want to discuss. If you've read my blog before, then you know my story, or at least part of it. It's not pretty by any means! I was a young woman hoping and praying to meet an amazing man who would sweep me off my feet. Then I met someone who seemed so amazing, and we were both smitten, and we got married and lived happily ever after. Except we didn't. We got married, and after a while I slowly started to realize what a huge mistake I had made. I was in a painful mess. You probably know that, but it's a recap for any first-time readers. (And please check out some of my other posts) Every once in a while I'll be in a conversation with someone about things that I went through in my marriage, and I can't help but think, "W

In Case You Were Wondering...

I've been thinking I should probably write a post to clear up a few questions that some people may have about my blog and its purpose.  I'm going to try to do that today. My blog is to help me heal emotionally, and hopefully help someone else who is going through something similar. I want to tell people that need to hear it that change can come to their lives, and they can be strong enough to take steps that they need to take. Some of you may be wondering how I feel about marriage now that I've been wounded so much by someone who was supposed to love me. I still believe in marriage. I've seen too many good marriages to believe that good marriages don't exist. Of course they require a lot of work by both people involved for it to be that way. I do feel like it's not fair that I went into marriage willing to give it my best, and my husband went into it...I don't know. I like to think he probably had good intentions at first. But he certainly didn't

The Biggest Difference Between Now and Then

There are many things that are different, now that I have left my husband. I  live in a different part of the state. I live with my parents again until I can get some things figured out financially. I'm attending the church I attended before moving away when I got married, but there is a new pastor now. I no longer have the security a wife has (or should have) of someone taking care of her. I know my family will take care of me, and my church will. No one will ever let me be without things I need. I'm driving an old Toyota I've had forever, because my husband got to keep the newer car. I wouldn't have wanted to bring the payments with me, along with the newer car, so there is that. I loved my role as a full-time housekeeper/cook/domestic goddess when I was with my husband. When I left, I knew I would have to polish up my resume and find employment. At this point I've only had temporary jobs, but something will open up. It's not easy reinventing myself.