Skip to main content

When It's Time to Leave

Leaving my husband is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. There is a lot I'm not ready to talk about publicly, but I knew for a while that separation was coming. I hoped my husband would be the one to decide he had had enough and break things off;  I didn't want to be the one to make that hard decision. But an evening came when I realized I couldn't take it anymore. One last thing happened that reinforced what I already knew had to happen eventually.





I was really upset that night. I made my decision, but I was afraid that as time went by I would change my mind. I texted one of my best friends and told her I was leaving. Then the next day I told my parents, my brother, and another best friend. These people were my safety net. If I decided to back out in the coming days or weeks, they were to hold me accountable and make sure I followed through with my decision because at that time I still didn't want to leave. I just knew I HAD to.

The emotional trauma after my decision that evening was horrible. I didn't sleep at all that night. The next morning I had my first-ever panic attack, and at first, didn't know what it was. It felt like I was going to have a heart attack! So scary! It took quite a while for me to calm down and my heartbeat to get more normal. I was a wreck all day from sleep deprivation. That day was the worst, but that first week was extremely hard. I was crying every day, usually multiple times. Once I had a melt-down in the hallway at church in front of several people (I'm glad they were close friends).

I ended up staying almost 3 weeks after the evening of my decision. That would not have been right for people in some situations, but I wasn't in any physical danger. One thing that made those weeks hard was actually how nice my husband was to me after I told him I was leaving and he saw how upset I was. In a way walking out would have been easier if he had been unpleasant during that time, but I'm glad he was nice. I couldn't have taken jerkiness on top of all the other pain. And I really did need a chance to pack and get my car fixed so it can last me a little while longer. (Please last me until I can afford something else, little car!)





As I write this I'm aware that there could be someone reading my blog who needs to leave a bad relationship. There are a couple things I want to say to you: 

First, I think telling several people I was about to leave was a crucial step. I really don't know if I would have followed through in that same timeframe if I hadn't told people right away. I mean, he wasn't beating me. I wasn't afraid for my life. It's really easy to be too comfortable in toxic situations. 

The second kind of goes along with that. You need a support system. If you have people in your life who are not supporting you, then find new people. That may mean something different for each individual, but there is even support online, though in-person is best. If your significant other is violent, emotionally abusive, or cheating on you, then you have every right to protect yourself and get out. If people are telling you otherwise, they are wrong. You are worth so much more than that. 

The last thing I want to say is that even though I wanted my husband to make the decision so I wouldn't have to, I think I'm glad it happened this way now that a couple of months have gone by. I can look back and see how strong I was out of necessity. I became stronger than I ever was before, stronger than I ever thought I could be. If he had decided to initiate the separation, I may have always had the question in the back of my mind, "Would I have left if he had left it up to me? Would I have been strong enough" Well, now I don't have to wonder. I AM strong enough. And you can be too. 



Comments

  1. In my divorce I'm glad the decision wasn't on me, because I would probably be haunted by second guessing with my analyzing nature, so the "I need to get out NOW" moment was more so in my church split situation, and like you said, you need people to help keep you accountable in the hard decisions you didn't really want to make in the first place

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Must They Think?

It's been too long since my last post. I have nothing to say for myself, except that life has been happening. I've had a migraine today, so this may not be very eloquent. But something has come to mind a few times lately that I want to discuss. If you've read my blog before, then you know my story, or at least part of it. It's not pretty by any means! I was a young woman hoping and praying to meet an amazing man who would sweep me off my feet. Then I met someone who seemed so amazing, and we were both smitten, and we got married and lived happily ever after. Except we didn't. We got married, and after a while I slowly started to realize what a huge mistake I had made. I was in a painful mess. You probably know that, but it's a recap for any first-time readers. (And please check out some of my other posts) Every once in a while I'll be in a conversation with someone about things that I went through in my marriage, and I can't help but think, "W

Marriage Advice That Is Wrong If You Are In a Toxic Marriage

If you're married or even seriously dating you might read books and blogs with marriage advice. You'll hear advice from pastors, family, friends, maybe even strangers. A lot of that advice will be good for some, or even most situations. The problem is when you are hearing and reading advice that isn't good for you. The person giving the advice will mean well. But they just can't see the full picture. Today I want to talk about some advice that can actually be harmful if implemented in a toxic marriage. I'm not listing these in a particular order. I'm just writing as I think of these.  Don't talk negatively about your spouse to other people. See the problem with this? If you are being abused in some way, keeping quiet about it is the last thing you should do. This just enables the abuse to go on. Tell people what is happening to you. Some may not believe you. Find someone that will.  Don't focus on the change your spouse needs to make. Focus on

Safe People: What I'm learning

No, I haven’t died. Life is just happening.  Lately I’ve been reading Safe People by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It is the first of several books I want to read as part of my healing process, and it is a real eye-opener. I’m not even finished with it yet, but I have seen myself in some of the pages.  One thing I recognized in myself is what the authors refer to as the false solution of doing the opposite. I was once deeply hurt by a guy who was dominated by his mother and just couldn’t cut the apron strings. So when I met the man I married and he was rude and unkind to his mother, I didn’t recognize that as the red flag it was. I was just so glad he didn’t let her push him around. In that regard, I was drawn to the opposite of what I had before when neither extreme was healthy.  The book talks quite a bit about people who close themselves off from relationships, both romantic and platonic, because they have been hurt in the past. I’m certainly in that posit